Ott Tanak became one of the victims of difficult speed trials at a rally in Mexico. The Estonian's front right wheel mount broke when braking before one of the turns, so he and his co-driver became only passengers in a Ford Fiesta, which crashed down the slope into the lake and sank in it. Fortunately, no one was injured, and co-driver Raigo Molder was sober in the accident that he rescued all the speed test notes from the sinking car. The M-Sport team decided to put the car back into operation, and although it waited ten hours underwater, the mechanics, assisted by both Tanak and Molder, managed to repair the Fiesta overnight. The gearbox, fuel tank, cooling system, all electronics, brake system had to be replaced, and the engine, which was
Robert Kubica will also be racing in the WRC World Rally Championship next season. The former Formula One racer, winner of the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix, toyed with the idea of returning from the speed trials of rallies to the racetracks, but the Pole has already registered for the first rally of the new championship season, which will take place next month in Monte Carlo. The 30-year-old Kubica will continue to race with the Ford Fiesta RS, which will be prepared by either the M-Sport team or the Italian A-Style team, and in his camp they remain stingy with statements about the decision about the future. They only said they would announce a formal decision next week. Kubica delayed the application until the last minute, as the deadline for submitting it expired on Friday evening, and the Pole submitted it late in the afternoon.
Finn Mikko Hirvonen has announced his farewell to the World Rally Championship after the end of this season. In 2013, after two seasons at Citroen, Hirvonen returned to M-Sport, where he did not find the speed and form with which he missed the world title by only a point in 2009. After 13 years in the World Cup, the 34-year-old HFinec decided to dedicate more time to his family. “Throughout all the years of my career, I’ve focused a lot on myself,” he said. "I have dedicated a large part of my life to the rally, and the schedule has always been relentless. I enjoyed every moment and still enjoy driving, but I would also like to focus on more important things that are part of my life, such as my children and There are a lot of things I haven't tried yet and I would like to give myself a chance to do so. "
Poland's Robert Kubica, who recently announced his goal of returning to Formula One, is not negotiating with any of the teams for a place in the WRC World Rally Championship, suggesting that he has focused on other goals. The Volkswagen and Hyundai teams have already confirmed their racers, while Citroen and M-Sport are not negotiating with other racers. Kubica raced for the latter team this year, after sitting behind the wheel of a rally car with the help of Citroen last year. "We haven't talked about next season yet. We're interested in what Robert would like to do," said Malcolm Wilson, head of M-Sport. "Of course we want him to stay with us, but we need to start thinking about our options." Kubica did not want to reveal much about his plans for the future. "I can assure you that I will be sitting behind the wheel of a race car
Mads Ostberg is convinced that the rally in Mexico could have ended in second place if his Ford Fiesta had not let him down. The Norwegian had a lot of problems with the M-Sport race car in Mexico, as he was bothered by the clutch at first, and his efforts fell into the water when his alternator failed. “At the start of the first stage, I felt something was wrong with the clutch,” Ostberg said. "I couldn't drive as I should. I drove for a while on the faster part, where it is not necessary to use the clutch, but when we got to the technical part, I needed it at the exit of the hairpins. All of a sudden it completely failed. we stopped and checked to see if we might be able to fix the problem but there was nothing we could do.Fortunately we were able to continue.We drove through the mes